On Thu, 3 Nov 2022 at 11:26, Maxwell G via devel <
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Thu Nov 3, 2022 at 06:50 +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> > When will this silliness ever stop? It just does not make sense to
> > explicitly list every single file in the RPM. Wildcards are often the
> only
> > reasonable way.
>
> Nobody is saying that you have to list every single file in the package
> or that e.g. adding `%{_datadir}/%{name}/` to %files is prohibited. It
> is simply not allowed to glob absolutely everything under a shared
> directory. For instance, ansible-core installs 11 different binaries
> into %{_bindir} that all start with `ansible` that would be tedious to
> list out manually. Instead of globing all of %{_bindir} with
> `%{_bindir}/*, I could add `%{_bindir}/ansible*` which complies with
> this guideline and is just as simple.

I read the section twice before posting, and because there were no examples
countering it and the text for why it was done said

`The most common mistake this rule prevents is upstream adding new commands
in %{_bindir}/*.`

I came to the conclusion that even `%{bindir}/ansible*` would be against
this as you would still miss
a) if ansible-foobaz had been added to the package when it had not been
there before
b) if ansible-foobaz was in a different package and you have an
unintentional conflict.

In either case, the only fix would be to explicitly list out every filename
each time so you were aware that things had been added or removed. I am not
sure how to better word this to escape this confusion but having a working
counterexample of saying `%{bindir}/ansible*` is ok would probably help.

At the moment the biggest set of packages that need cleanup will be perl,
golang and then about a couple hundred library rpms.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.