On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 01:35:36AM -0000, Scott Anecito via devel wrote:
> What is the driver for choosing Phosh over GNOME Shell?

There's no choosing something over something else. This isn't a Fedora
Mobility Edition, but rather a first look at a Phosh based setup.

Phosh has been around a long while, the remix that the mobility sig
makes currently uses it, and it seems to be making progress all the
time.

The plasma mobile desktop has also been around a while, but I am not
sure if it's all packaged up yet or how it fits together. The kde sig
has been working on this. If they reach a point where things are
working, they can submit a plasma-mobile change.

If down the road we think this area should be covered by a edition, then
we would need to closely decide what would meet our users needs.

> Let me first say the amount of work put in by both Purism and the GNOME
> community into Phosh and other mobile components like libhandy has been
> critical to Linux mobile space. While mobile friendly GNOME Shell
> improvements only recently started and is not currently as feature rich as
> Phosh, the recent focus on it by the GNOME community has lead to some fast
> and impressive development as seen on the GNOME blog:
> https://blogs.gnome.org/shell-dev/2022/09/09/gnome-shell-on-mobile-an-update/
>
> Most of the changes in the blog look to be targeting merging upstream in time
> for 44's release which I believe would be in Fedora 38. Even then though
> GNOME Shell wouldn't be at feature parity with Phosh. However, the main
> argument long term for having a mobile image that uses GNOME Shell over Phosh
> is more resourcing due to mutual benefits on mobile and desktop with things
> like the new gesture API referenced in the blog.

gnome-shell's mobility changes look really interesting and I would
encourage folks interested in that to work on a gnome mobility spin?

> If feature set is the driver, I understand, but as a Librem5 owner and
> someone with all their boxes imaged with Fedora I'd be curious if there would
> be any plans to eventually switch to GNOME Shell once feature parity happens.

I don't know of any plans right now, but I think it's likely to happen
if things are merged and are in a workable state. :)

kevin