On 11/15/22 08:37, Mattia Verga via devel wrote:
> Il 15/11/22 00:23, Neal Gompa ha scritto:
>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 6:03 PM Kevin Kofler via devel
>> <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> So let me sum up:

>>> Upstream says that it is intended that packages are able to set their
>>> version to 0 or 0.0.0, but…

>>> … your proposed Change will fail those packages' build with no opt-out!? You
>>> cannot be serious!
>>>
>>> (Though actually, would %global __provides_exclude_from … together with a
>>> manual Provides: python3dist(…) = 0 not work?)
>>>
>>> A clear -1 to this Change as proposed.

>>> What if it is the *upstream* maintainer's intention? Are we now dictating
>>> versioning schemes on upstream projects, disallowing version numbers that
>>> upstream setuptools explicitly considers valid?
>>>
>> Unfortunately, I have to agree here. Nobody said we should be
>> dictating the versions for people. PEP-440 does not even make 0
>> version illegal, so this is unnecessarily punishing.
>>
> IMO, the policy is right, it just have to allow to opt out, so that the
> maintainer is informed that **there could be** something wrong with the
> package metadata / build process. Maybe an opt-out + file a ticket in BZ
> to have track of the opt out, just like the ExcludeArch is the right
> approach.
>
> Mattia

Hello,

The standard invocation of the Python dependency generator will be
changed to always run with option like `--fail-if-version-zero`. (This
is the subject of the current proposal.)

Based on your concerns, an opt out mechanism would be added:
If you wanted to bypass the option, you could define a macro in the
specfile, eg.
`%{!?__python_dist_allow_version_zero:--fail-if-version-zero}`

This would allow to build RPMs without bothering with versions. Also, if
it's upstream's decision to use version 0, that would be the way to go.
In Fedora this would give us an insight into how often this is needed.

What do you think of enhancing the proposal this way?

Karolina Surma