Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 6:24 AM Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Do we have a command line tool for this? Does licensecheck support SPDX
>> identifiers?
>>
>> (I find the use of browser extension for this very weird. I have the LICENSE
>> file unpackaged with the sources on my machine, I am not browsing it on the
>> web.)
>
> licensecheck supports SPDX, you just have to run it with
> "--shortname-scheme spdx".

In my recent & limited experience, licensecheck did not
produce valid SPDX output in many cases.  As an example,
take a file with the following license header:

/*
 * test-run-command.c: test run command API.
 *
 * (C) 2009 Ilari Liusvaara <ilari.liusva...@elisanet.fi>
 *
 * This code is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
 * published by the Free Software Foundation.
 */

I expect it to return GPL-2.0-only, but it returns GPL-2:

    $ licensecheck --shortname-scheme spdx t/helper/test-run-command.c
    t/helper/test-run-command.c: GPL-2

I did not see any files in the git source labeled with the
appropriate SPDX identifier for GPL-2.0*.  Similar for LGPL.
For BSD-3-Clause, licensecheck used a lower-case C, which
then fails to match a valid license in rpmlint.

Am I missing something obvious or does licensecheck not work
as expected?  This is with licensecheck-3.3.0-2.fc36.noarch.

--
Todd