Dne 22. 11. 22 v 20:41 Adam Williamson napsal(a):
On Tue, 2022-11-22 at 12:48 +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Would it be possible to develop a way to better manage updates of some
interconnected packages? FF + NSS would be one case, but when we are
doing Ruby on Rails update, it always involve more packages. Or probably
gcc + annobin are pair of packages which needs to always go together
(unless I am mistaken).

E.g. the build of NSS would automatically triggered side creation and
waited for updated FF.
well...there's always room for improvement, but it strikes me that
would be rather complicated. It's not the case that *every* rebuild of
NSS requires a rebuild of Firefox, so whatever is implementing this
would need to be quite smart to know when it's necessary and when it
isn't.

It could be just simple waiver.

Frankly, the existing tools are fine for the purpose. It is not hard to
create a side tag, nor to put builds in it. Multiple other maintainers
and teams manage this just fine, with much larger sets of packages: the
desktop and KDE teams both do this very well, all the time, with dozens
of packages.

Bluntly, I don't think there is really a tooling problem here, there is
a "getting the maintainers to understand the requirements and use the
tooling properly" problem.

Tooling can do this indeed. Unfortunately, sometimes the information about the tooling capabilities just does not reach the right people. Other times it is just silly mistake. I'm just thinking how to make it more robust.

Vít