Adding to what Vitaly has said:

The other question is where you get those signatures from. If upstream does not
sign tarballs any more then there is nothing to check, sadly.

In a source-git based workflow, or if you roll your own using rpkg or such, you
have the upstream source available so that you can verify the signature of a
commit or tag from which you create a tarball. But, as Vitaly pointed out,
builders have no way to check that signature "against the tarball"; it does not
match our workflow.

I'm not sure I understand upstream's workflow problem, though. Is attaching
assets to a github release cumbersome? If yes, and if they are suggesting to
use a reproducible automatic tarball (from the likes of `git archive`), then it
should be simple to script the following for their release process:

- download/build tarball from signed commit/tag
- sign the tarball
- tag the detached signature files as `%{name}-%{version}.sig` (tags can point
to blobs), or commit them to a sig branch, or put them into a note object
attached to the release commit or tag object, and push (if uploading/attaching
as an asset) is too cumbersome

That way any downstream would have an upstream signature for "the" tarball
(without upstream having to "create and upload" one).

Michael