On Sat, Dec 3, 2022 at 5:38 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 3, 2022 at 11:34 AM Kalev Lember <kalevlem...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> Anyone is going to review the package or not ?
> >>
> >> I already explain the situation in the other emails on this thread .
> >>
> >> I estimate that I will need about 200 hours to do what your brilliants
> >> minds ask .
> >>
> >> And btw, asking to the others to have the work that you maybe don't
> >> have in your packages , is very easy. if I do the compat package and
> >> wait for 200 packages dependency adapt to the change, will be a chaos ,
> >> and I don't like ignore all the tickets opened around it.
> >>
> >> ImageMagick-7.0.1-10 was release on 2016-06-07, today is 2022-12-03 so
> >> after 6 Years and 5 Months and 26 Days, we still haven't  any
> >> ImageMagick 7 in Fedora or EL, so or you help me on do it in my way ,
> >> or I won't do it .
> >>
> >> That is why package guidelines should be a guide and not all  and not
> >> the all truth rule, when in practice you don't follow it just claim it.
> >

> > I think it makes sense to do it the way Sergio is planning as it makes
> it all much much easier. I don't think we should set a too high bar here
> wrt the package naming; anything is an improvement if we can start getting
> the distro migrating to ImageMagick 7.
> >
> > We can always rename ImageMagick -> ImageMagick6 and ImageMagick7 ->
> ImageMagick at a later date when someone has the energy to do it.
> >
> > Don't let perfect be the enemy of good :)
> >

> It matters in this case because both packages provide stuff in
> /usr/bin, and we only should have one provider of those. ImageMagick
> should retain them, and the ImageMagick6 compat package should only
> provide libraries for stuff that can't link to the IM7 libraries.

Ah, yes, that's a good point. I think we have a bunch of packages that
'BuildRequires: ImageMagick' and then use /usr/bin/convert during the build
to convert icons from one format to another. Other packages require
/usr/bin/convert for runtime use.

Sergio, what's your plan for handling /usr/bin/convert?

--
Kalev