On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 10:20 PM Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 10:53 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It has a similar impact that turning back on frame pointers would.
> >
> > Cf.
> > https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/09/17/gccs-new-fortification-level#the_gains_of_improved_security_coverage_outweigh_the_cost
> >

> That article explicitly states:
>   "We need a proper study of performance and code size to understand
> the magnitude of the impact"
>
> I look forward to seeing the results of that proper study before
> this is even considered for approval (since, after all, one of the
> strong push-backs for -fno-omit-frame-pointer was performance).

Besides the point that the two are not comparable, code size results
are in the sheet I linked to in the proposal; there's no negative
impact.  The feature has been enabled by default in OpenSUSE for
nearly a year and there have been no noticeable performance issues
reported there either.  IMO the magnitude of improvement is such that
a benchmark shouldn't be a blocker for this feature, but if that's
what FESCO insists, I'll be happy to run whatever benchmark they
suggest.

Sid