On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 4:08 PM Maxwell G via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> ABI incompatible updates are against the Updates Policy for stable
> releases:
>
> > ABI changes in general are very strongly discouraged, they force
> > larger update sets on users and they make life difficult for
> > third-party packagers.
>
> -- https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/#stable-releases

They are very strongly discouraged, not forbidden.  In this case, a
"larger update set" will not be forced on any user.  It will be two
packages: polymake itself, and python-jupymake.  As for making life
difficult for 3rd party packagers, there are no consumers of the
polymake library in the package sets of the most popular third party
repositories.  And the new version is backwards API compatible with
the old version, so even if there is some polymake library consumer
out there, all they have to do is rebuild.  (There are quite a few
consumers of the polymake binary, but the command line is also
backwards compatible, so none of them need rebuilding.)

The overriding concern for me is the bugs fixed in the new release.
I'll bet you a nickel that if you find some random polymake users and
ask them if they want this update, they will all say yes.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/