Once upon a time, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbys...@in.waw.pl> said:
> Without an initrd we immediately have the following limitations:
> - all kernel modules needed to mount root must be compiled in
> - all that code is always loaded and remains in unswappable memory
> - root= syntax is limited to what the kernel understands, i.e.
>   no root=UUID=… o root=/dev/disk/by-path/… or other udev links,
>   no encryption or dm-verity.
> - no bluetooth keyboards or other fancy peripherals
> - recovery is pretty hard

Also, the security lock-down for the kernel command line means:
- no network root filesystem
- no boot-time-only kernel/module configuration

The idea of switching from grub2 to sd-boot would also drop network boot
and BIOS support.  Supporting boot loaders seems to be a bit of a issue
sometimes, so trying to support multiple boot loaders seems like a bad
idea to me.

--
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>