On Wed, Dec 21, 2022, at 6:53 AM, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> On 21/12/2022 12:38, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
>> Why shouldn't FAT be used for /boot.  In an EFI world, /boot
>> is used for the same functional pupose as the ESP, which is
>> already going to use FAT.
>
> Doesn't support links, lournaling and ACLs.

What's the use case? Is it a nice to have or is it a hard requirement and why?

The Linux FAT driver does support SELinux context with a mount option. We
aren't using that right now but we can have a suitable SELinux label enforced
file system wide on ESP and XBOOTLDR.

> Everyone can do whatever they want with the files, and a trivial power
> outage can easily wipe out all of its contents.

This is a rare but real problem. I think we should be looking at ESP and
XBOOTLDR updates doing A/B updates, i.e. write the updates to temporary files
or directories and then use renameat(2) which is atomic at the VFS layer, and
should get pretty close to atomic at the FAT layer to the degree that worse
case scenario we have either the old *and* new files following a crash. Ideally
we'd get old *or* new. But that's probably not possible with FAT. But we can
still boot.

>> Such drivers would need to be signed to be used
>> under SecureBoot, thus expanding the set of components you
>> need to audit & trust for security purposes.
>
> These drivers are backports from the grub2 code. If we trust GRUB, we
> can trust them too.
>
> Fedora Infra can be configured to sign the contents of the efifs package
> with a Fedora SB key.

Yeah but then try getting all the distros to agree on signing efifs. How many
distros are there? It's not unfair to say  all distros should be able to put
their signed efifs drivers on the ESP because that's the only way their
bootloader can read loader/entries to properly draw a boot menu.

--
Chris Murphy