On Thursday, December 22, 2022 1:29:29 PM EST Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-12-22 at 18:44 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 12:35:54PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Shorter_Shutdown_Timer
> > >
> > > This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
> > > process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
> > > community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
> > > by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
> > >
> > > == Summary ==
> > > A downstream configuration change to reduce the systemd unit timeout
> > > from 2 minutes to 15 seconds.
> >
> >   Great change, please do it!
> >
> > Also, sometimes after reaching the timeout, systemd extends wait by
> > another 2 minutes (or 1m30). I wasn't able to find in the sources or
> > documentation why this happens, but this behaviour should be blocked.
> > Otherwise some services after 15s will get another 15, and then another…
>
> 15 seconds feels very aggressive to me. I can think of some cases, like
> libvirtd automatically suspending or cleanly shutting down running VMs,
> that might well take longer than that. Could we not go for 30 seconds?
> Going all the way from 90/120 down to 15 seems pretty radical.

I run across this with some regularity. PackageKit is not installed on my
system. What I wished was that when there is a stall shutting down, a message
to the console or a dialog box explains who is holding up shutdown. If we
knew who was holding things up, bugs might get filed.

In some cases I know that the system is rebuilding the nvidia drivers so that
graphics work on boot up. I'd like to let that finish and it certainly takes
more than 15 seconds. But without a blame message, how do we know what needs
looking into?

-Steve