Hi Peter,

I have not much experience with nested virtualization in particular. But although I am quite sure that it will not fail without host-passthrough, I cannot imagine it to be sufficiently efficient without making use of host-passthrough in production (and also not effective in many use cases). So concerning enabling the host-passthrough, I assume that makes sense.

The Red Hat Docs you refer to differ to the Quick Docs page: see 1. II. of the procedures of both Intel and AMD at the RHEL link (as you indicated, it seems that RHEL 9 has not yet anything online about the topic, at least not on the publicly available pages).

The RHEL8 Docs page makes use only of "host-passthrough", whereas the Quick Docs article seems to assume that "host-passthrough" and "host-model" are equal and thus, the user can use any of the two without a difference. At least as I was working with that the last time (maybe something has changed? * ), these were two different things (host passthrough <-> host model), and for performance reasons, I suggest to stick with "host-passthrough" and not "host-model" in the nested use case, except there is clear indication towards the other (see the openstack link below for an example). At least, the quick docs article should make clear the difference if it also notes "host-model". Or alternatively, duplicate the RHEL8 Docs page approach and refer only to "host-passthrough", which makes most sense for that use case imho.

Additionally, I disagree a bit with the "Note" box in https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/using-nested-virtualization-in-kvm/#proc_configuring-nested-virtualization-in-virt-manager

" Using host-passthrough is not recommended for general usage. It should only be used for nested virtualization purposes. "

I am not sure if nested virtualization is the only reason to enable host-passthrough. So at least the second sentence ("It should only be used for nested virtualization purposes") should be removed imho. I think implicit assumptions should be avoided at all.

Concerning the difference of host-passthrough and host-model, the following link contains some information about the two that corresponds to what I know: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtXMLCPUModel (just search on that page for "host-passthrough" and "host-model"). If you search on the Internet for further information, be aware that the terms "host-passthrough" and "pci-passthrough" are not synonymous (you will maybe get many pages about both when querying a search machine about one of them).

To avoid misunderstandings: I have not reviewed/tested the remaining article. Maybe someone else has the capabilities for that.

* I cannot exclude that there have been some developments in this area since I was using that the last time, but given the age of the Quick Docs article, I expect the "host-passthrough = host-model" assumption was wrong at the time of writing (being no indication for what is currently correct), and therefore, unless someone knows it better, I guess it makes sense to assume that there is still a difference between the two...

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards & stay safe,

Chris