On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 4:48 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 02:10:52PM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 2:02 PM Ben Cotton <bcot...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Rpmautospec_by_Default
> > Have we made sure that when Red Hat forks Fedora packages for RHEL
> > that they don't truncate or eliminate the Git history anymore? Because I
> > would
> > personally be very displeased if my historical attribution went away
> > because of broken processes like the one used to fork all the Fedora
> > Linux 34 packages for CentOS Stream 9.
>
> I can't speak for the RH folks who do the forking… It'd be great if
> somebody who knows how that's done could answer.
>
> Fedora is already using rpmautospec widely enough that (if it was to
> be problem at all), it must already be a problem.
>
> At the level of specific solutions, obviously the obvious answer is to
> keep the git history. It's in general a great of source of information
> and discarding that is just an error. But if somebody were really to do that,
> it's fairly trivial to undo the conversion and get a static changelog
> again by inserting the output of 'rpmautospec changelog' in the %changelog
> section.

As they are the most prominent downstream we have, I would like this
resolved before changing Fedora's defaults.

At the time we branched from Fedora Linux 34, there were very few
packages using rpmautospec and I don't think any that were kept used
rpmautospec. Now it is very obvious it would be a problem, so I would
like that fixed first. CentOS and RHEL infrastructure needs to account
for it properly and not gut the Git history.