On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 03:37:34PM -0500, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2022 at 13:40, Kevin Kofler via devel <
> > https://docs.pagure.org/fedora-infra.rpmautospec/autochangelog.html#changelog-entries-generated-from-commit-messages
> >
> > All in all a very complicated and error-prone process just to save some
> > extremely lazy packagers a 5-second copy&paste. I really do not see why
> > that
> > should be the default and recommended process.
> >
> > The rules how to format the commit message are error-prone, and if you get
> > them wrong, you usually only notice when it is too late to fix it (because
> > force-pushes are not allowed). Yes, you can manually run "rpmautospec
> > generate-changelog", but that is actually no less effort than just taking
> > care of the changelog manually to begin with.
> >

> My main questions are what is this supposed to fix long term?

My understanding is that the main thing rpmautospec is supposed to
address is to decouple changelog and release values from specific
changes. This for example makes pull requests much easier.

Without it, pull requests either have to specifically tie a change to a
release/changelog entry or leave that to the maintainer.
With it, PR's can be applied in any order or after some other unrelated
changes without a bunch of back and forth to adjust the
release/changelog to match unrelated changes.

I think moving more things to it makes a lot of sense as long as we are
moving to a more pull request flow. I can't speak for others, but I have
indeed noticed a increase in PR's on packages I maintain over the last
few years.

kevin