On Thu, Feb 23 2023 at 03:13:28 PM -0600, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@redhat.com> wrote:
Quick update here. We are approaching the end of soname bump season! \o/ There will be one or (less likely) two additional soname bumps within the next three weeks, and then when WebKitGTK 2.40.0 is released alongside GNOME 44 the soname bumps will stop and the GTK 4 API will be stable.

I've just now pushed the final soname bump to rawhide. It will be hitting F38 real soon now. The webkitgtk-6.0 API (WebKitGTK for GTK 4) is now stable and safe to start depending on.

I'll be updating F37 as well in roughly one week from now, after WebKitGTK 2.40.0 is released. It's unusual to push an incompatible update to a stable Fedora, but remember (a) it affects very few GTK 4 applications, and (b) I'll handle the rebuilds, and (c) it's the same source package as WebKitGTK for GTK 3, so we really have to update or the widely-used GTK 3 version will stop receiving security fixes. In my opinion, the risk caused by the API transition for GTK 4 is lower than the usual risk caused by updating to a new major release of WebKitGTK every six months anyway.

Michael