On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 11:46:49AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 11:24 AM Fabio Valentini <decatho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 2:10 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > This shouldn't be needed because the buildsystem can happily pull
> > > filelists.xml. That said, this is part of the reason why we don't
> > > mandate a prefix in createrepo_c. We can't know what the prefix is
> > > going to be for RPMs for projects.
> >
> > If this is a difficult topic because different distros have different
> > expectations here, would it be possible to make this configurable
> > (either at runtime or at build time)?
> > That way createrepo_c wouldn't need to be opinionated ...
> >

> Just don't anchor the regex with "^" the beginning. Then it works for
> anything.
>
> That is: "/bin/|/lib(|32|64|exec)/|/etc/"

I want to keep it clear that _my_ proposal is to make this narrower,
to match the packaging guidelines. The guidelines say that packages
SHOULD NOT use paths outside of /usr/bin|/usr/sbin|/etc, so any other
paths that we put in primary just make things less efficient.

And as mentioned previously, adding libs would blow up the number
of paths in primary, even though they are not useful because we
have a dependency generator.

Making this configurable is probably easier than discussing the
"correct" path endlessly. Then the setting for Fedora can easily
be made to match the guidelines. What other distros do will be up
to them.

Zbyszek