On 4/19/23 00:26, Benson Muite wrote:

Probably each hardware vendor will need to become more involved in
creating an RPM distribution for their use case and providing hardware
for test builds.  A single monolithic Fedora will not work.  Having a
subset of base packages would be very helpful.
The rpm subarches might be a useful path, but then determining what you
build for multiple of them and how needs to be addressed.

The great thing about Linux is easy customisability.  There may be a few
RISC V variants that are widely used, but not clear which at present.
The D1 chip is very affordable, and can have much use in education and
IoT, though most support at present is available for Debian and OpenWRT.
I certainly don't see Ventana taking that direction -- the market we've targeted isn't interested in a custom distro. In fact, they're very much of the mindset of using an existing distro.

And seriously, who wants to recreate all the infrastructure necessary to build and support a system like Fedora or Ubuntu. That's a major investment with marginal value.

jeff