On Fri, 26 May 2023, Lukas Javorsky wrote:

I would like to announce the Fedora change for the deprecation of the aspell
package [1].

I would be sad to lose Aspell, since it outperforms Hunspell, at least for
English (http://aspell.net/test/cur/).

This package has a dead upstream and has been obsoleted (in most
occurrences) by the hunspell package [2].

Although it’s true that it’s nearly four years since the last Aspell release, I
notice that the same was true of Hunspell until last year.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AspellDeprecation says:

The dependent packages will migrate to hunspell.

If we’re going to recommend migration to anything, shouldn’t it be enchant2?
Users would be able to configure their preferred spellchecking engine per
language (which I imagine is more important for some languages than others),
and we wouldn’t have to go through this again in the future if we
hypothetically decided that, say, Nuspell should replace Hunspell as our
default spellchecker.

--
Peter Oliver