On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 6:18 AM Omair Majid <oma...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Keep in mind that this isn't exactly the first time we've done this
> > either: the .NET runtime is similarly screwy for its bootstrap
> > process, and that's split across a couple of source packages.
> >
> > At this point, we hold our noses and hope for the best. At least
> > there's a chance to reduce the pain with .NET over time as the Red Hat
> > .NET folks work to improve upstream. There's basically zero chance for
> > improvement with OpenJDK because of the nature of the upstream and how
> > old and crufty they are.
>
> I know it's tangential to the main discussion, but since .NET was called
> out by name, I would like to get your thoughts on this. What would you
> say are the biggest concerns with the .NET setup?
>
> Here's how I understand the current state. There's a single source
> package for each major version of .NET (dotnet6.0, dotnet7.0.). That
> source is compiled into the complete .NET SDK+Runtime for each version.
> There are no source or binary dependencies between versions. Each
> version is built/updated independently. Only the first build for each
> major version requires a full bootstrap (using prebuilt binaries), but
> that's a one time. Subsequent builds of each .NET major version use the
> previous build of that major version of .NET.
>
> With that context, what primary concerns do you think we should be
> focusing on?

That's actually a lot better than it was when I helped with dotnet
package review and bootstrap with 3.1.

The main worry I have is how we're going to be able to build dotnet
for a new architecture when nothing exists. RISC-V is the next big
architecture, but the build for that will be difficult.

It would also be good to have packaging guidelines for .NET
applications, since there's a number of server and desktop Linux apps
written in .NET languages that people would want to bring to Fedora.