On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 03:33:26PM +0100, Aoife Moloney wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/FedoraWorkstationImageBuilder
>
> This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
> process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
> community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
> by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
>

> == Summary ==
> Image Builder is a set of modern tools for building operating system
> images. Its goal is to make the builds reliable and reproducible.
> Moreover, it's designed to give the end users a simple workflow to
> build their own custom images. The aim of this change is to switch the
> build tool for Fedora Workstation live ISO from livemedia-creator to
> Image Builder.

...snip...

> * Other developers:
> Our focus for this change is specifically on Fedora Workstation.
> Nevertheless, we are open to collaborating with all spins/SIG to
> transition their build pipelines to Image Builder. However, for the
> initial switch, we aim to minimize the impact by focusing on a single
> artifact. We anticipate that more artifacts will be transitioned in
> subsequent releases of Fedora Linux.

I realize you have to start somewhere, but I'm not sure this is
something that should be driven by the SIGs/spin owners. I mean if the
images produced are the same, why do they care? :)

Would it be better to start with a non blocking deliverable and get
things working, then just switch all the rest?

If we are moving from kickstarts to blueprints, I would guess we need a
new repo for that and help converting things.

Do we have a sense that livemedia-creator is going to keep being
used/work? There is likely a bunch of docs pointing to it that I would
suspect should be updated to point people to them.

> * Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/11500 #11500]
> Provide ppc64le machines to Image Builder. Switch the pungi config to
> use Image Builder.

Yeah. ;)

I take it you have x86_64 and aarch64 in hand?
When we move all images over, will it be able to handle the capacity?

I'm hoping it's easy to debug failures. We can debug livemedia-creator
pretty well at this point. :)

kevin