Hi all,

I am interested in packaging some golang programs for Fedora (and EPEL),
and I read through the guidelines:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Golang/

My question is more about the reasoning for the recommended handling of
dependencies.

Other language platforms have shared runtime objects, and devel packages
provide the interface to link to them when necessary; however golang
compiles it all statically. It is very easy to bring all the dependencies
locally for compilation directly from git repos and then nothing is
necessary at runtime.

Creating rpm packages for each golang dependency seems counterproductive as
it adds an additional burden to maintain without the benefits of shared
runtime objects.

I have the feeling I am missing something. What is the benefit of having
each golang build dependency as rpms?
Is it a requirement for golang programs rpm contributions or it is
optional? (e.g. prometheus in EPEL9 does not follow the deps handling
guidelines but not sure if it is a tech debt or an option).

Thank you,
Carlos