On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 at 13:10, James Ralston <rals...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 5:46 AM Miroslav Suchý <msu...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Dne 20. 07. 23 v 10:08 Peter Robinson napsal(a):
> >
> > > So everything has to be rewritten across the entire ecosystem to
> > > work with it? Wow, who thinks that's a good idea? It took the
> > > ecosystem long enough to migrate from the yum "API" to dnf and now
> > > they have to do that all over again?
> >
> > "Only dead projects has stable API"
> >
> >          Me.
>
> The yum to dnf transition was supposed to be the “the old API was so
> horribly broken that we had no choice but to throw it away and design
> a new API completely from scratch” event.

No it wasn't. It was 'the yum API has been rewritten multiple times to meet
different small changes and has become a nightmare to keep things working.
Let's try and build another one still using python but with a bit more
planning.' I saw this as someone who heard Seth Vidal swear about all the
things he wish hadn't added and then other people say the same thing.

I am not going to say that a dead API is a dead project.. libc calls have
been pretty stable for a long time. However, it is stable because a LOT of
people work on it and require it to be stable to make things work. Pretty
much every project below that tends to become more 'fluid' as the
development base gets smaller and the API gets more fluid. It takes a lot
of collective memory and tooling to know why X, Y, and Z are in the code
base, and if they are still needed. Once the people who work on any version
of code 'move on', the ability for others to pick it up and keep it the
same way gets harder and harder. Large codeteams are able to handle this
because A remembers why B did this and thinks changing X,Y, or Z would
break W.

Personally I would have preferred to call this a new tool versus trying to
use dnf name still. It makes it clearer that the break is going to happen.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.