Stephen Gallagher venit, vidit, dixit 2023-10-11 15:03:30:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 6:14 AM Kamil Paral <kpa...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 11:06 AM Michael J Gruber <m...@fedoraproject.org>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I noticed that we switched off updates-testing by default for F39
> >> installs very recently. Is that something that is tied to the release
> >> date or the final freeze date?
> >

> > There's no exact time defined, but usually this happens shortly before we
> > start producing Final RC images. Pre-release testers are expected to be
> > able to configure it. But it's true that giving it more visibility
> > (announce when we disable updates-testing) would be beneficial for testing
> > purposes (interested people could toggle it back to enabled right away).
>
> If the users have not modified the
> /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo manually, then the file
> is automatically disabled for them when the GA fedora-repos package
> gets to their system. It doesn't downgrade any packages they have
> installed from u-t, though. So early adopters *may* want to `dnf
> distro-sync` at this point, but in most cases that isn't necessary. It
> probably wouldn't hurt to add "At some point during this Freeze, an
> update to `fedora-release` and `fedora-repos` will be pushed out,
> disabling updates-testing by default and identifying the system as a
> GA release" to the Final Freeze announcement.

Maybe we shouldn't even confuse release users with this.

I was just wondering what the "anchor" is, say "right after final
freeze" or "7 days before GA". We could put "updates-testing disabled
in fedora-release GA version" as a remark in there, just like "xy plan
on this" and such.

When the release slips like now the anchor time matters. One could
argue either way. I guess anchoring shortly before GA is safer in the
sense that beta testers receive updates longer while they are not being
pushed to stable during freeze.

You know how it goes: We ask them to test beta, beta is all good and
great, so they stay on branched ... In my case, because our uni terms do
not line up well with our release schedule, and I can't possibly defer
upgrades to the Xmas break  ;-)

Michael