On Sat, Oct 21, 2023 at 9:35 AM Tomasz Torcz <to...@pipebreaker.pl> wrote:

>   We already have systemd-timesyncd. On startup, it syncs the time to
> the mtime of:
> - /var/lib/systemd/timesync/clock file; or
> - /usr/lib/clock-epoch file; or
> - a time derived from the source tree at build time
>
> timesyncd is mentioned in the bug, but I didn't read everything.

Personally, I have been using systemd-timesyncd for
quite some time on the vast majority of my systems
and am quite satisfied with it, but I believe that
changing from chrony to systemd-timesyncd was
considered too big of a last minute change since
we are in the final blocker stage of a release.

I believe that a change proposal (for F40) to change
to systemd-timesyncd, or fake-hwclock (or some
other agreed upon solution) by default should be
created so the non-RTC systems will work properly
at future upgrades (converting existing systems
from chrony to systemd-timesyncd can be
complicated if the systems has modified the
default chrony config or is not a (pure) client,
so that may only be a longer term fix).