Dne 31. 10. 23 v 16:23 Petr Pisar napsal(a):
Hello,

DNF5 got a complaint
<https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf5/issues/991> that "dnf update
https://..."; skips verifying package signatures:

     $ sudo dnf update
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/gnome-control-center/45.1/2.fc40/data/signed/a15b79cc/x86_64/gnome-control-center-45.1-2.fc40.x86_64.rpm

https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/gnome-control-center/45.1/2.fc40/data/signed/a15b79cc/noarch/gnome-control-center-filesystem-45.1-2.fc40.noarch.rpm
     [...]
     Warning: skipped PGP checks for 2 package(s).

A DNF5 developer confirmed that old DNF4 does not verify signatures too.
The verification happens only for packages comming from a repository. Why DNF5
looks bad is because it actually prints the warning and thus keeps the user
better informed.

The nonchecking behavior probably exists to make installing local packages
easy. If DNF5 would insist on checking the signatures, Fedora users would have
to pass --no-gpgchecks option to their "dnf5" commands to override the new
default, or start signing their packages. As always security is not easy.

Because this an old behavior and some users probably depend on it, enabling
the verification for all cases looks like an abrupt change.

I would would like to hear your opinion: Should DNF5 start verifying all
packages? Should DNF5 keep ignoring signatures for out-of-repository packages?
Or should rather narrow the verification skip to packages from a local file
system? Any other options?

Or maybe verify what it can and report the packages which can't be verified? You can notice that I was actually installing singed packages.

But I would (probably) not mind to explicitly specify `--no-gpgcheck`. I still would swear this used to be needed, that is why I try to install the signed packages.

Vít