On 30/11/2023 00:14, Michal Schorm wrote:

I've stumbled upon this piece of code in my package:
   # Define license macro if not present
   %{!?_licensedir:%global license %doc}

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mariadb/blob/rawhide/f/mariadb.spec#_322

Git blame points out 7 year old commit:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mariadb/c/e3d4b2f14e5e0cb7b42b468ffb9de6ff39e3d248?branch=rawhide

The RPM docs says the %license 'Virtual File Attribute' was added in
version 4.11, which has been added to Fedora years before the commit
above:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rpm/c/2970ed07c98c8929eca0bdfebda389af5a2ef92d?branch=rawhide

I tried to remove the line and I haven't noticed any differences in
output of "rpm -q -d <rpm>" and "rpm -q -L <rpm>" before and after.

I'm not even sure what the line is trying to do - I read it as "under
some condition, create %license global macro with value %doc".

It's just making %license an alias for %doc if your building
for a release old enough that %license isn't supported, as
detected by checking if %licensedir is defined.

It hasn't been needed for a long time.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)