On Thu, Feb 01, 2024 at 03:40:24PM +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-02-01 at 15:31 +0100, Leon Fauster via devel wrote:
> > Am 01.02.24 um 14:18 schrieb Sérgio Basto:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > The problem is not KDE SIG not support X11, the problem is KDE SIG
> > > want
> > > drop X11 and force user to use wayland .
> >

> > Looking from the side I wonder If its the SIG or more the
> > circumstances
> > that everything is in a forward flow and the SIG is facing it. So, if
> > the best time was not two or one year ago, and obviously also not
> > now.
> > When then? The fact is that there must be a point in time when the
> > display server takes an evolution step forward.
> >
> > Pressure in such transition helps to get forward, so I understand the
> > SIGs POV. Albeit, from the practical POV there are some issue and
> > therefore X11 is still the place to be.
> >
> > Maybe some elaboration should be done about the current state of X11
> > vs
> > Wayland (is it just nvidia?) and a timeframe calculation to have a
> > resolution. Maybe it won't look so bad then and a interim solution is
> > then more acceptable.
>

> I have an obvious answer is when the authors decide, in this case Xorg,
> when Xorg decides that it will stop supporting X11, like happened to
> Python2 or PHP5 and 7 or Gnome

X.org (the ppl doing X development) doesn't work that way, there won't
be an official "we're no longer supporting this". More likely
development will languish (except for Xwayland) and actual Xorg releases
will be few and far in between, at unpredictable cadence and subject to
someone wanting to do it.

The last Xorg release (21.0) from the master branch was in Oct 2021. The
only reason that one happened was because Povilas (who wanted a new
feature in X) stepped up and did the work of collecting the MRs and
doing the release maintainership. Every 21.x release since has been
backports and, especially more recently, a huge percentage are CVE fixes.

Fedora still ships the previous release, server 1.20.x, which was
originally released from git master in 2018, the 1.20.14 version we're
on (excluding fixes and CVEs) is from Dec 2021.

Xwayland on the other hand (which lives in the same git repo) continues
on its merry way with the 23.2 series branched as recently as last
August. But an Xwayland release does not include Xorg because, well,
there is little motivation to do more Xorg releases.

When it comes down to it it "just" needs someone (trustworthy enough) to
step up and do them. Whether the releases get picked up immediately like in
the olden days is a different matter. But I doubt there'll be an X.org
statement of "we no longer support Xorg" anytime soon, even though that
is, to some extent functionally already true.

Cheers,
  Peter