> On 2 Feb 2024, at 11:30, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, the kernel assumes that there are no such caches, but I think in
> practice there are.  I think this means that journaling file systems are
> not working correctly, in the sense that you do not get just user data
> loss if the device is unplugged prematurely, but also metadata
> corruption.

As I understand it the kernel will request that writes are not cached. Which
means
that journaling file systems do in fact work well.

As an aside a few years ago (10+ years?) Microsoft found that HDDs where using
caching
to spoof benchmark results.

But this was leading to support hell for Microsoft with user reporting corrupt
file systems to them.

What Microsoft did was refuse to issue WHQL for any disk that did not have a
write
through cache. We in Linux land benefit from this as spoofing hardware, I
believe, is
not a common occurrence any more.

Barry