> On Feb 12, 2024, at 10:18 AM, Marius Schwarz <fedora...@cloud-foo.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I excuse myself if this has been already discussed, bastion ML server was
> blacklisted (has been removed btw).
>
> Short summary(for details use the source link):
>
> In a german developer blog article was the topic raised, that with uprobes
> enabled, userland apps can i.e. circumvent tls security(and other
> protections),
> by telling the kernel to probe the function calls with the uprobes api. As
> this enables i.e. the hosting system of a vm or container, to track activity
> inside the container, trust is lost i.e. from customer to hoster. To be fair,
> you need to be root on the host to do this, but as it "wasn't possible
> before", and it is "now" ( out in a greater public ), it tends to create
> trust issues, just for being there*.
>
> As this only works with uprobes enabled and has no use case besides a
> developer debugging apps, the question is:

With my kernel developer hat on, this is ridiculous.  Of course the
host of a container or VM can see what’s going on inside the
container/VM, and no amount of changing Fedora’s kernel configuration
will make a difference. The host can use a hypervisor or run a
different kernel or use ptrace or use perf or use nsenter or look at
/proc or use kprobes or use bpfttrace or use *any* bpf program with
memory-reading permission [0].

 This proposed change would serve to annoy Fedora users and have no
other benefit.

[0] it’s surprisingly poorly advertised, but, while BPF itself is
nominally memory-safe, eBPF usually exposes a function that serves as
a fairly complete escape hatch for reading user and kernel memory.