On Sat, Apr 6, 2024 at 12:46 PM Sandro <li...@penguinpee.nl> wrote:

> On 05-04-2024 23:45, Aoife Moloney wrote:
> > == Summary ==
> >
> > Update to a new upstream release of pytest that is not completely
> > compatible with previous releases. Pytest 8 is a major upstream
> > release removing a lot of deprecated functions and introducing
> > breaking changes.
>
> I was wondering how this will pan out with the introduction of Python
> 3.13, which is also planned for F41 and comes with its own set of
> breaking changes. Some of those affecting tests.
>
> The current test builds are run against Python 3.12. Will all Python
> packages also be tested against Python 3.13 with pytest 8 later on? Does
> that even make sense?

I dug up some numbers.

1769 packages depends on pytest
- 138 fails with pytest 8 and python 3.12
- 1631 builds with pytest 8 and python 3.12
    - 1294 were attempted to build with python 3.13 (either succesfully or
unsuccesfully)
        - 61 packages failed with either (python 3.13) or (python 3.12 and
pytest 8)
    - 337 weren't attempted yet to build with python 3.13 (probably missing
dependencies)

I am aware it's not ideal to test against 3.12, but right now it's our best
option since a lot of packages are still missing dependencies in python
3.13 copr.

> Anyway, it's two major updates affecting the Python ecosystem, which are
> both aiming at F41. Maybe letting the dust settle on Python 3.13 first
> and then updating pytest to the next major release will let package
> maintainers (and upstream) focus more. Just some food for thought.

The priority is to deliver python 3.13. I want to ship pytest after python
3.13 mass rebuild to avoid disruptions on that front. Until then I want to
open bugzillas to notify maintainers and backport patches if available.
There is also an option to introduce pytest 7 compat package in case of a
high number of broken packages before Beta Freeze. We should have roughly 2
months between the end of python 3.13 mass rebuild and Beta Freeze to
decide on how to proceed.