On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 01:28:07PM +0200, Florian Festi wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> RPM 4.19 added automatic sysuser handling [1]. In Fedora 39 this feature
> was not enabled right away [2] as it requires some care to properly
> transition to it. Also going back to 4.18 was technically still the
> fallback option during this change.
>
> I just noticed in an issue in the RPM upstream repository [3] that the
> sysuser feature is still not enabled. May be right now might be a good
> time to get this going for Fedora 41. I am happy to help with the
> technical details but would prefer if this effort was driven from within
> Fedora.
>
> Currently users are either done manually by calling useradd in
> scriptlets or using the macros in systemd-rpm-macros which is a sub
> package of the systemd package. RPM's mechanism is switched off by
> rpm-4.18.92-disable-sysusers.patch in the rpm package.
>
> This whole thing probably needs to be a Global Change involving a change
> to the Packaging Guidelines [4] and may be an Mass Package Change
> (although that might be avoided by changing the macros in
> systemd-rpm-macros to NOPs).
>
> Anyone interested in picking this up? I remember quite a few people
> being exited about this when it was announced with the rpm-4.19 Change.

IIRC with the current sysusers impl from systemd-rpm-macros, there's an
hard constraint, that the sysusers file had to be explicitly listed
as a separate "SourceNN" file. You could not point %sysusers_create_compat
to a file from the either the build root, or the unpacked source tarball,
as the macro appeared to load its argument at spec parse time.

Does the native RPM implementation avoid this limitation ? It looks like
it probably does...

With regards,
Daniel