On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 12:23 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Nobody stops you to disable Network-Manager, DHCP, AVAHI and the other
> noob-crap
> and write your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 manually as i do
> everytime directly after the first boot and i guess the next 20 years
> this will be the same on a unix-like system

Right. This is exactly what I do on non-laptops. But I find NM useful
for WiFi sometimes so I keep it installed...but now it seems it's
becoming very difficult to just temporarily configure an interface that
won't be touched when I plug/unplug a cable or whatnot.

Really, there should be a better way that turning off every network
service and script for the 5 minutes I want this. I have other machines,
etc. and this is rawhide, but it's also the future.

Jon.