On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 11:22:48 +0200, gia...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to rebuild a package with an autotools based toolchain and
> it's failing because they use -Werror and gcc 4.6 spits out few new
> warnings on the code.

You should fix those erors and and submit them upstream.

> Now, is it possible to quickly disable -Werror from the ./configure
> command line? Right now the only solution I found (short of fixing the
> code...) is to patch Makefile.in but that does seem very robust.

It depends on the specific package.  For example GDB has --disable-werror:
$ ./configure --help|grep werror
  --enable-werror         treat compile warnings as errors

Or if there is Makefile.am you should patch it instead of Makefile.in.

If -Werror is contained in Makefile.in and there is no Makefile.am then your
choice is the best way how to disable it (but you should fix the errors
instead).

Regards,
Jan