On 06/14/2011 11:57 AM, 80 wrote:
> 2011/6/14 Ralf Corsepius<rc040...@freenet.de>:
>> libexecdir is GNU Standards for ages (decades).
>>
>> It's supposed to be kind of an "auxilliary bindir", to hide away
>> programs, users are not supposed to execute directly.
>>
>> It's formal definition[1] is
>>
>> <cite>
>> libexecdir
>>
>>      The directory for installing executable programs to be run by other
>> programs rather than by users. This directory should normally be
>> ‘/usr/local/libexec’, but write it as ‘$(exec_prefix)/libexec’. (If you
>> are using Autoconf, write it as ‘@libexecdir@’.)
>>
>>      The definition of ‘libexecdir’ is the same for all packages, so you
>> should install your data in a subdirectory thereof. Most packages
>> install their data under ‘$(libexecdir)/package-name/’, possibly within
>> additional subdirectories thereof, such as
>> ‘$(libexecdir)/package-name/machine/version’.
>> </cite>
>>
>> In Fedora, we treat libexecdir as optional and allow packages to install
>> such "non-user programs" to %libdir/<subdir>/ instead, primarily for
>> historical reasons.

>> [1] http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html

> Do we agree that until FHS canonicalize libexecdir, libexecdir is the
> recommended location for helper scripts and that /usr/{lib,share} are
> *tolerated* (ie: not configurable, requires non-upstream-able
> intrusive patch etc ...) ?

Well, I would agree to tolerating /usr/lib/<package>/ (Which btw is the
current defacto rule in Fedora practice) but would disagree otherwise,
because

- /usr/share (aka datadir) is reserved for "arch-independent data", i.e.
should not contain executables and programs.

- /usr/lib (according to the GNU coding standards) should not contain
programs.

- $(libdir)/<package>/ basically is a package's private play-ground and
therefore may also contain programs and scripts.

> In consequence, we should then update
> packaging guidelines to explicitely state this.

<sigh/> some people seem to need written rules for everything, for what
generations of people before them took for granted ;)

Ralf