On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:11:15AM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:
> > The formatting done by "ls" is not already available to the user as
> > a command that can be piped to.
>
> Of course the formatting done is (already available to the user).
> With sed, awk, cut, join, sh, etc. lots of formatting logic is already
> technically available.  It's just nobody wants to have to construct
> crazy pipe commands all the time and tradeoffs and defaults have been
> chosen.

If "ls" forked a bunch of forked processes internally in order to provide the
formatted output, then yes, I would have the same problem with it as I do with
systemctl. If you can justify re-implementing a formatting algorithm in the
program itself, then it's probably too difficult to achieve at the commandline.
If you can't justify writing the code to do this, then it's easy enough to do at
the commandline.

/Aaron