Kay Sievers (kay.siev...@vrfy.org) said:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:27, David Michael <fedora....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Bill Nottingham <nott...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Right, but that then causes 'last one wins' behavior among multiple DMs.
> >>
> >> I suppose we could use alternatives for this, as much as I dislike it.
> >
> > I meant creating that symlink was the replacement for
> > /etc/sysconfig/desktop, the end-user configuration.
>
> Yes, this link will replace the config file.
>
> > As for what packages do about their DM service files, I would agree
> > with letting alternatives manage a default
> > /lib/systemd/system/display-manager.service symlink,
>
> We should not let packages create config files in lib, lib is more for
> static content from rpms, not really for configuration. For the same
> reason, 'systemctl enable/disable' acts on /etc only.

It's not a config file, it's the default service. I mean, we could
manage the one in /etc instead, but I don't know that that's that
much better. You could make the argument that the symlink in /lib is
the system maintained software, and therefore is the proper one.

Honestly, I'd prefer that 'systemctl enable', when called from
spec files, enable under /lib to better define what the system defaults
are. Of course, that might be better handled with the preset code.

Bill