On 07/28/2011 08:48 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 26, 2011 03:24:58 PM Jesse Keating wrote:
>> I thought there was a hard rule about not having nvrs go backwards, and
>> if a bad build was put out, it should be fixed with epoch or other such
>> NVR things to make sure the upgrade path continues.  (that is once a
>> build makes it out in the nightly repos)
>
> I untagged the rpm build and we do have that rule, I could have sworn that it
> had only been built that day and not made it into rawhide. if i had realised
> that it had made it to rawhide i would have bumped the epoch on the old build
> to ensure that updating was correctly handled.

Bumping epoch in rpm would have made it harder for all other packages to
depend on a particular rpm version. Instead of having e.g.
Requires: rpm >= 4.9.1, they would now also have to remember the put the
correct epoch in there.

I think it's reasonable to have a broken package pulled from rawhide for
a little while, if it's going to be properly fixed up in a few days.
Yes, we should try to avoid such things, but having a hard rule here
would be counter-productive.

Also, we have a much worse case of versions going backwards. After each
Alpha release, lots of people are going to install Branched pre-releases
and they automatically get enabled updates-testing repos. And in that
updates-testing repo, packages are often pulled out and versions go
backwards. Why is such practice allowed in Branched, but not in rawhide?

--
Kalev