> Well, in this case yes, but this problem could emerge again in a case
> where there's no version bump that 'should have' been carried out. The
> fundamental problem here is that git commit IDs are a single hex string,
> but RPM version comparison doesn't do hex, it splits out base-10
> 'numeric' fields and 'alphabetic' fields.

I suppose also, of course, git commit IDs don't increment, so even if
RPM spoke hex, they'd be unsuitable for use in version comparison. I
don't know if anyone would argue it's fundamentally 'wrong' for git
commit IDs to be in RPM EVRs, or if it's okay for them to be there as
long as you make sure there's stuff ahead of them which will always
compare correctly. Maybe the RPM team has an opinion.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey