NO> Should I let the submitter know that it is this old or should it be
NO> closed or the age of the upstream source ignored, in which I am
NO> guessing the later is not the case.

Well, I could certainly ask the submitter if they're aware that the code
they're packaging is ancient and most likely unmaintained, and if
they're willing to essentially take upon themselves the full maintenance
burden.  It's not anything that's against the rules, and I'd expect that
they'd be aware of the status of the upstream project in any case since
they've gone to the effort of packaging it.

Old code isn't guaranteed to cause problems, and plenty of really old
code works just fine today.

 - J<