On 08/25/2011 05:28 PM, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> You're probably referring to the updates 2.2->2.4 in '07 and 2.4->2.6 in
> '08 but please keep in mind that we're stuck with 2.6.x as the stable
> branch since then, so there's no reason to be gloomy about the Fedora
> side just yet.

I remember how we tracked the 2.3-2.4 development in Rawhide, which
allowed me at the time to write articles (previews, tutorials) based on
our official packages and, of course, allowed the entire community to
contribute with testing and feedback.

> While we mightn't have had an explicit update policy for Fedora in the
> time, these packages only went in after thorough testing on top of that
> upstream managed to keep things as backwards-compatible as could be
> expected -- the built-in scheme interpreter became a bit more strict in
> 2.6, which was a documented break with 2.4 which could easily be fixed
> by fixing affected 3rd party scripts.

Testing is the "magic" word, we want to test it.

> Considering that upstream to a large part isn't interested in working on
> 2.6 anymore -- the last commit by a core developer to this branch was in
> February this year -- I don't expect to see another 2.6 bugfix release.
> As well, installing both stable versions side-by-side isn't an option as
> you can't install them into the same prefix: the libraries have the same
> SONAME, the new ones are expected to be ABI compatible. Therefore I
> don't see a real alternative to rebasing to 2.8 in stable Fedora
> releases when it finally is available, after thoroughly testing it of
> course (which I already do to a certain extent, I can e.g. confirm that
> the ufraw gimp plugin built with 2.6 works with a private installation
> of current git master).

In the meantime I feel there is some duplicate effort wasted here: the
maintainer (Nils) is doing his own testing in private, another
contributor (Luya) is struggling (and hitting walls) with building an
external repo, people don't know what and from where to use.