On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Przemek Klosowski
<przemek.klosow...@nist.gov> wrote:
> On 08/30/2011 03:55 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
>
>> How many systems are there that "hang forever" when the floppy module is
>> loaded?  I have never seen that happen, on systems with or without
>> floppy drives, yet you seem to be saying it happens on vast numbers of
>> them (99.9% in an earlier message).
>
> It's not really 'forever', it just seems like 'forever'---remember those
> sounds that go 'bzzzzzzut.... bzzzzzzzut... bzzzzzzut...' when the
> floppy drive does a head seek during floppy controller init at boot.
I hope no software is still doing this - that was idiotic 10 years
ago, let alone now.  (The purpose of the seek is to detect drives that
can support only "double density", i.e. 360K, 5.25" disks, not "high
density", i.e. 1.2M disks.  It doesn't do anything useful for 3.5"
drives.)
   Mirek