On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:48:58PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> spice-gtk3-devel.rpm size with vala bindings included:
> 10865
>
> spice-gtk3-devel.rpm size without vala bindings:
> 9921
>
> Compressed size of bindings files:
> 10865 - 9921 = 944 bytes
>
> spice-gtk3-vala.rpm (separate vala bindings pkg):
> 7645
>
> Separate pkg header size / overhead:
> 7645 - 944 = 6701 bytes
>
> Installed vala bindings size:
> 2808 bytes (in 2 files).
>

> So either we are forcing *all* our users to download
> and store say 3k of extra metadata (assuming yum metadata
> is more efficient then rpm headers), or we are forcing
> those who install -devel packages to install 2808
> bytes extra under /usr/share/vala/vapi

Even assuming there are 10 million Fedora users who all install this
vala package, that's just $2 of extra disk space.  Even if there are
1000 vala packages, and all 10 million users have to install them,
it's barely worth mentioning the extra cost.  Bandwidth costs are very
variable so harder to calculate, but 3k extra isn't going to be much
money.

> >I'd like to see hard figures
> >before we dismiss the idea of packaging this correctly.
>
> Splitting packages is not always about doing things
> "correctly" splitting packages has a cost, in the form
> of added metadata, and through that more bandwidth and
> disk usage and slower yum performance, for *all* of our
> users not just the users of the package in question!

Well yum's metadata certainly seems very inefficient compared to APT,
but that's a bug in yum.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top