> Peter Robinson (pbrobin...@gmail.com) said:
> > Great idea, I would also love to see a clear out of the packages that
> > aren't core/part of particular categories. MTAs in minimal would be
> > one that comes to mind but there's lots of other examples.
>
> Yeah, I'd like to clean this up. The sad thing is that even if I define
> the minimal group as:
>
> kernel
> dracut
> util-linux
> systemd
> systemd-units
> initscripts
> yum
> selinux-policy-targeted
> policycoreutils
>
> it merely drops it from 524MB/186 packages to 503MB/152 packages. I could
> make it smaller by dropping yum/rpm and dependencies, but I can't in good
> conscience ship an *installation target* minimal install that doesn't allow
> you to get updates or add-in packages.

 A few "interesting" things:

. The above is installed size, download size is "only" 101MB¹.

. There are a lot of small deps.

. The only two "big" packages that I see which _might_ be able to be
trimmed (split into smaller ones, maybe) are python-libs and
cracklib-dict.

. glibc-common contains locale-archive which is 100MB installed (IIRC
they mmap it, so code would need to be changed ... but a simple gzip
takes that to 23MB which is like ~17% savings).

. For all the gory details (on download size), upstream repoquery now
support --qf on the tree output. Sample version (with above packages)
at:

http://james.fedorapeople.org/repoquery-deptree-size.txt

. Doing "install @core" is actually smaller, and less packages than the
above² 8. Which makes me assume something is missing from @core.

¹ rawhide: install <above 8 packages>

Install  8 Packages (+134 Dependent packages)

Total download size: 101 M
Installed size: 445 M

² rawhide: install @core

Install  41 Packages (+129 Dependent packages)

Total download size: 72 M
Installed size: 323 M