On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to> wrote:
> Hardware specific regressions aren't that rare. I have run into them
> several times. I have had problems with disk controllers, USB flash
> drives and video cards. Sometimes there are work arounds (e.g. using
> nomodeset or disabling AGP), other times I just stayed on old kernels for a
> while.

And it should be pointed out, the kernel is handled as a very special
case in our packaging. We understand and expect people to have
multiple parallel installed kernel packages on system. So if and when
you do hit a hardware regression you usually have the ability to
fallback to an older kernel that was working for you because it was
not removed from the system when the new kernel was installed.  The
point being, we don't make it easy to do that for other packaged
components.  A fear a full rolling release would involve some deep
re-engineering of everything we package to make it possible to
parallel install multiple versions of everything.

-jef