> Starting with a USB stick produced with the following:
> http://mirrors.yocum.org/fedora/releases/test/17-Alpha/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-17-Alpha-x86_64-netinst.iso
>
> dd if=Fedora-17-Alpha-x86_64-netinst.iso of=/dev/rdisk1

I'm not sure if this is expected or not, but I make the following observations
about the resulting USB stick, which appears to have a bogus GPT according to
three utilities.

1.
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.2

Partition table scan:
 MBR: protective
 BSD: not present
 APM: not present
 GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
Warning! Main partition table overlaps the first partition by 48 blocks!
You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.
Disk /dev/disk1: 3915776 sectors, 1.9 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): E2E967A4-B1E8-4D61-9F5D-37F99C3E603E
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 48, last usable sector is 319454
Partitions will be aligned on 4-sector boundaries
Total free space is 1550 sectors (775.0 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
  2           58168           59483   658.0 KiB   0700  卉䡏批楲d灁汰e灁汰
  3           59484           61323   920.0 KiB   AF00  卉䡏批楲d灁汰e灁汰

Similar results but different Name encoding for gdisk on Fedora.

2.
parted on F17

Error: The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it should be.
This might mean that another operating system believes the disk is smaller.
Fix, by moving the backup to the end (and removing the old backup)?
Fix/Ignore/Cancel? i
Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/sdb appears to be used, you can
fix the GPT to use all of the space (an extra 3596288 blocks) or continue with
the current setting?
Fix/Ignore? i
Error: Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition.

3.
Apple's "gpt" program:

cd2:~ chris@ gpt show -l disk2
gpt show: error: bogus map
gpt show: unable to open device 'disk2': No such file or directory