On Thu, 15 Mar 2012, Dan Williams wrote:

The current connectivity checking code is built-but-inactive in F17, you
can enable it by adding these entries
to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:

[connectivity]
uri=http://<url>
interval=120

the URL is expected to return one or both of:

1) an HTTP header named "X-NetworkManager-Status" with the value of
"online"
2) an document body consisting only of the text "NetworkManager is
online" (can be customized by an option in the config file)

This method lets NM (in the future) detect captive portals and will

Note that such a scheme has already been setup for other software at:

http://fedoraproject.org/static/hotspot.txt

It returns "OK" and is guaranteed never to do any redirects, so you can
detect hotspots. dnssec-triggerd will use this but we hope this
functionality will go into NM itself, so that NM can actually run
dnssec-trigger-control commands directly, and incorporate all the gui
elements from dnssec-trigger-panel.

to understand my babbling, yum install dnssec-trigger, start
dnssec-trigger-panel, see "probe", "probe results" and "hotspot mode"

I am looking forward to the day that only dnssec-triggerd (or its
incorporation into NM) will touch /etc/resolv.conf

Paul