On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 12:51 +0200, Nikos Roussos wrote:

> I wrote a small patch to comment out this line and it worked just
> fine. I'll file a bug upstream.

A patch to simply remove the update-desktop-database call is unlikely to
be accepted upstream, as people building for themselves want the call.

What you'd want to send upstream is a patch either to make the call
optional - enabled by default, but add a ./configure parameter to
disable it - or to make the call happen or not depending on whether
$(DESTDIR) is set. See the discussion between me and Colin Walters
elsewhere in the thread.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey