On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 05:14:12PM -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> When it comes down to it, your "drawing the line" argument just
> doesn't make sense.  There is always injustice in the world.  If you
> want to be pedantic, anyone who ever seeks a more lawful or more
> ethical path is simply "drawing a line", because there is always some
> more fundamental injustice they've left unsolved for the moment.

There is always injustice. You're arguing that one level of injustice is
acceptable and that another isn't, and you're justifying your
distinction because you think the benefits of providing that information
are greater than the costs of the loss of freedom. But there's no
absolute rational measure of that, in the same way that there's no way
to rationally say that the loss of freedom in terms of users not being
able to produce their own signed bootloader or kernel for free is more
or less significant than the benefit of having an operating system that
users can install without firmware reconfiguration.

You're fine with one level of injustice. I'm fine with another level of
injustice. Both compromise the freedoms that Fedora currently gives you.

--
Matthew Garrett | mj...@srcf.ucam.org