On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Björn Persson wrote:

I'm used to seeing many different glyph variants and I don't care a lot about
the
finer details as long as it's clear which letter is which. I think many users
are probably like me in that regard. Users don't want to think about the font
when they are reading a text; they want to think about the information
contained in the text.

Every single Fedora upgrade in the last few years (with perhaps F17
the exception) surprised me with superior fonts over the previous
release. We might not have conveyed that, but I've been pretty happy
with what people have done with fonts so far. I did not look at the
latest feature proposal or there impact, but I did nwat to say that
there are a lot of users out there who care and notice fonts beyond
"which letter is which".

Paul